In April 2010, Brian Auten’s Apologetics 315 blog hosted a series of essays by 20+ bloggers in Christian apologetics on the subject Is Christianity True? The essays were read aloud as the Is Christianity True podcast, and collected in a free ebook.
These very short essays provide a convenient way for me to offer quick replies to a vast swath of apologetic arguments and give a naturalist’s perspective on all of them. My goal in such a short space is not to refute all these arguments but to give the “first round naturalist’s response” to them – to explain why these reasons do not persuade me to adopt again the religion in which I was happily raised. As with 100 Proofs the Earth is Not a Globe, a huge number of arguments does not mean any of them are good arguments.
In the midst of repelling all these Christian arguments I’ll try to squeeze in relevant, condensed versions of atheistic arguments so that I can explain not just why the case in favor of Christianity fails, but also why Christianity is not true.
I will also be reading the essays as the Why Christianity is False podcast (also on iTunes or in RSS), for those who prefer listening to reading. ((This is me throwing a bone to those who are sad that I cancelled my Counter-Apologetics podcast.))
Update: I am no longer updating this podcast, but other people have continued the series here.
- Four Bad Arguments for God + round 2 (replying to Tawa Anderson)
- ‘God Did It’ is a Terrible Explanation + round 2 (replying to Jim Wallace)
- Christianity is Incoherent + round 2 (replying to Wes Widner)
- The Success of Naturalism (replying to Richard Gerhardt)
- Science Has Limits, and That’s Precisely Why it Works (replying to Bob Perry)
- Complexity Does Not Imply Magic (replying to Peter Grice)
- The Real Facts about Jesus (replying to Chad Gross)
- Explaining with Resurrection is Like Playing Tennis Without a Net (replying to Shelby Cade)
- Naturalistic Explanations for the Fanatical Stories about Jesus (replying to Luke Nix)
- Minimal Facts Again (replying to Aaron Brake)
- Against Resurrection (replying to Amy Hall)
- Christianity Was Not Impossible (replying to James Patrick Holding)
- Seas of Superstition (replying to Stephen J. Bedard)
- Lol, No. Judaism Does Not Prove Christianity (replying to Anthony Horvath)
- Christianity and Euthyphro (replying to Mariano Grinbank)
- Christianity Is Objectively False (replying to Marcus McElhaney)
- The Gospels Tell Me Lies (replying to Vocab Malone & Paul D. Adams)
- Christianity and Logic (replying to Glenn Hendrickson)
- The Evidence for Atheism (replying to Brian Colón)
- Christianity Fails its Tests (replying to Kyle Deming)
- Showing Atheism is True (replying to Matthew Flannagan)
- The Wise Man Rejects God (replying to Brian Auten)
Stay tuned as I publish these short essays!
Next post: Scott Clifton’s Moral Philosophy