New Less Wrong posts: Rationality Drugs and Rationality Lessons Learned from Irrational Adventures in Romance.
You all know about Ask a Mathematician / Ask a Physicist, right? Okay good, just checkin’.
Back by popular demand, Richard Carrier’s one-month online course on the origins of Christianity will run again this December. At $60 it’s a steal, but it’s only $10 for students.
- Weight Loss Naturalism: Behavior Technology and the Quest for Self-Control.
- Good blog on how to improve your life (dating, etc.) with rationality: Spencer Greenberg.
- Great sign: “Obama is not a brown-skinned anti-war socialist who gives away free health care. You’re thinking of Jesus.”
- Muse + Daft Punk + Deadmau5 + hot dancing chick. Has anything better ever happened in the multiverse?
- Woman born deaf hears her own voice for the first time. Science for the win.
I’ll take bets at 99-to-1 odds against any information propagating faster than c. Note that this is not a bet for the results being methodologically flawed in any particular way, though I would indeed guess some simple flaw. It is just a bet that when the dust settles, it will not be possible to send signals at a superluminal velocity using whatever is going on – that there will be no propagation of any cause-and-effect relation at faster than lightspeed.My real probability is lower, but I think that anyone who’d bet against me at 999-to-1 will probably also bet at 99-to-1, so 99-to-1 is all I’m offering.I will not accept more than $20,000 total of such bets.
Previous post: Philosophy by Humans, 1: Concepts Don’t Work That Way
Next post: News Bits