Today I introduce a new segment: Myths Atheists Share. May Christians spread untrue myths to support their cause. They may say that Darwin converted to Christianity on his deathbed, or that NASA computers, in calculating the positions of the planets, found a missing corresponding to the “long day” of Joshua 10 and Hezekiah’s sundial movement of 2 Kings 20. Of course these are false. But some atheists also spread myths in support of atheism. In Myths Atheists Share, I’m going to debunk these atheist myths.
I also interview Mark van Steenwyk, leader of a non-violent Christian community in Minneapolis, MN. Mark was a mentor to me during the last year of my Christian life, and played a role in my deconversion story. We talk about:
- Missional, emergent, Anabaptist, and postmodern Christianities
- His non-violent intentional community, Missio Dei
- Mark’s challenge to atheists
Download CPBD episode 004 with Mark van Steenwyk. Total time is 39:03.
- Mark’s personal website
- Mark’s non-violent Christian community, Missio Dei
- Mark’s book, the Missio Dei Breviary
- Mark on Twitter
- Mark contributes to Jesus Manifesto, Common Root, and Christarchy!
- Non-Violence: The History of a Dangerous Idea by Mark Kurlansky
- Community of Communities, a directory of intentional communities
Let me know what you think about the interview, and submit your own questions for me to answer on the show!