Today I interview ethical philosopher Stephen Finlay about his 2008 journal article “The Error in the Error Theory.” Finlay takes a unique strategy against the arguments of leading moral anti-realist Richard Joyce, who defends an “error theory” about morality. Topics I discuss with Dr. Finlay include:
- What’s wrong with error theory?
- What do moral terms mean?
- Can moral claims be true?
- Can there be morality without God?
Download CPBD episode 008 with Stephen Finlay. Total time is 1:22:38.
- Stephen Finlay’s USC profile.
- Finlay’s research page.
- Finlay’s “The Error in the Error Theory”
- Richard Joyce’s The Myth of Morality
- Philippa Foot’s “Morality as a System of Hypothetical Imperatives“