Here is a bibliography of the most substantive writing I have found on the subject of whether or not Islam generally promotes violence. Obviously, some people of most religious have been violent throughout history. But is Islam violent at its core? Or is Islam a religion of peace?
Yes, Islam Generally Promotes Violence
- The Dhimmi: Jews & Christians Under Islam by Bat Yeor, 1985.
- Islam and Dhimmitude: Where Civilizations Collide by Bat Yeor, 2001.
- Islam Unveiled: Disturbing Questions About the World’s Fastest-Growing Faith by Robert Spencer, 2003.
- Onward Muslim Soldiers: How Jihad Still Threatens America and the West by Robert Spencer, 2003.
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades) by Robert Spencer, 2005.
- The Myth of Islamic Tolerance: How Islamic Law Treats Non-Muslims by Robert Spencer, 2005.
- The Legacy of Jihad: Islamic Holy War and the Fate of Non-Muslims by Andrew Bostrom, 2005.
- The Truth About Mohammed by Robert Spencer, 2006.
- Religion of Peace?: Why Christianity Is and Islam Isn’t by Robert Spencer, 2007.
- The Complete Infidel’s Guide to the Koran by Robert Spencer, 2009.
No, Islam Doesn’t Generally Promote Violence
- Muhammad: Prophet and Statesman by W. Montgomery Watt, 1974.
- Unholy War: Terror in the Name of Islam by John Esposito, 2003.
- The Trouble with Islam Today: A Muslim’s Call for Reform in Her Faith by Irshad Manji, 2005.
(Please suggest more defenses of Islam. I’m having trouble finding ones with any substance.)
Previous post: CPBD 088: Eliezer Yudkowsky – Becoming a Rationalist